NRL News

Documents Reveal Tonya Reaves Suffered from bleeding, incomplete abortion, and perforation

by | Jul 26, 2012

By Dave Andrusko

Tonya Reaves in an undated Facebook photo.

Basing his report on new documents, WBBM Newsradio’s Steve Miller is painting  a much fuller—and much more potentially disturbing—picture of the death last Friday of Tonya Reaves following a second-trimester abortion at a Chicago Planned Parenthood clinic.

The story is built around the timeline, which begins last Friday when Reaves, the mother of one, received a second-trimester dilation and evacuation (D&E) abortion at 11:00am.

After the abortion Reaves suffered bleeding. But a Fire Department ambulance did not take her to Northwestern Memorial Hospital until 4:30 p.m., according to Miller’s report.

An hour later, at 5:30, doctors “performed an ultrasound, and another dilation and evacuation procedure – basically, another abortion – this time at Northwestern,” according to Miller. This could only mean that Reaves had undergone an incomplete abortion.

Miller goes on:

“Then pain and more tests, and one of those tests revealed a perforation, documents say. Then surgery at 12 minutes past 10 pm. An uncontrollable bleed was found. Reaves did not regain consciousness and was pronounced dead at 11:20 in the operating room.”

Reaves’s death had been ruled an accident. Yesterday ABC News reported that the family of a 24-year-old mother of one retained a lawyer, Corey Meyer, the family’s lawyer, told ABC News, “We’re just trying to get all the facts from the incident and determine what the best course of action is.”

As it happens, Miller’s report comes out after a flurry of pro-abortion blog posts, screaming that (a) abortion is safe, safe, safe, and (b) pro-lifers were “exploiting” Reaves death prior to any evidence of the timeline, let alone the autopsy, which would tell objective observers what actually happened to cause Ms. Reaves’ death.

All we know for sure is that she was bleeding when she arrived at the hospital—more than five hours after the abortion—and a second D&E was required. Doctors subsequently found a perforation after still more tests. Then more surgery where doctors discovered bleeding they could not get under control.

Tonya Reeves never regained consciousness.

Your feedback is very important to improving National Right to Life News Today. Please send your comments to If you like, join those who are following me on Twitter at

Categories: Abortion