NRL News

Abortionist blames pro-lifers for losing medical license, not the fire marshal, the judge, or a state medical disciplinary committee

by | Dec 10, 2014


By Dave Andrusko

Editor’s note. This appeared in the December digital edition of National Right to Life News. You can read the issue in its entirety at

Robert Alexander's Women's Medical Services

Robert Alexander’s Women’s Medical Services

In late November NRL News Today reported on the decision by the Michigan Board of Medicine Disciplinary Subcommittee to finally suspend (albeit for six months and a day) the license of abortionist Robert Alexander, whose abortion clinic the city of Muskegon shut down in December 2012 after finding deplorable and dangerous conditions. But it was not until the follow day (courtesy of Ken Kolker of WOOD-TV 8, who has followed Alexander the closest) that we had Alexander’s truly bizarre reactions.

For those unfamiliar with the latest twists, the Board’s decision came less than two months after Administrative Law Judge Shawn Downey issued a devastating nine-page decision in which he found Alexander guilty of both negligence and incompetence.

In finding Alexander guilty under Michigan’s Public Health Code, Judge Downey concluded, “The evidence is overwhelming that Dr. Alexander failed to adhere to the most minimal standards of cleanness and sanitary conditions…The ultimate response lies with Robert Alexander and he failed.”

As he has from the beginning, “Alexander blamed pro-life groups, including Right to Life, for conspiring to shut him down,” Kolker reported.

“May I remind you it was the fire marshal that shut the building down,” Genevieve Marnon from Right to Life of Michigan told Alexander. “It had nothing to do with the Board of Medicine or the state investigators. The fire marshal shut the building down.”

This latest episode with Alexander began the night of December 26, 2012. The landlord called the police saying that someone had broke into the Woman’s Medical Services abortion clinic.

What they found was an abortion clinic “in complete disarray.” The clinic was shut down a few days later. (You can see 19 photos of the Woman’s Medical Services)

In his findings, Judge Downey wrote that police found

“biohazard materials unsecured, unsecured used needles. unsecured and unsanitary medical instruments, blood on the floor and walls, patient records strewn about, uncovered buckets containing unknown fluids, unsecured medications throughout the premises, multiple biohazard bags containing used hypodermic needles, and water leaking into the clinic from the room in several locations.”

Alexander was cagey in his answer to Kolker’s question about his future plans. While he said he has no plans to return to practice, “he did say he had to ‘deal with patients’ later in the day.”

Alexander also talked about working in a hospice program but wouldn’t say where.

Kolker ends his story with this back and forth:

He said he wasn’t sure what he would do next.

“My life is going in another direction,” he said.

When asked which direction, he replied:

“I don’t know at this point. I’ve got to pray and ask the Lord for directions.”

According to Kolker, in addition to suspending Alexander’s license for six months and a day, the state Board of Medicine Disciplinary Subcommittee also “told him he would need to pay a $75,000 fine if he wants to get it back. The state said he would have to file a petition with the Board if he wanted to reinstate his license and that it wouldn’t be automatic.”

There is much more to Alexander’s background than deplorable conditions at this abortion clinic which caused authorities to shut it down. Kolker wrote

A Target 8 investigation last year revealed Alexander had been the target of repeated allegations of botched abortions — allegations dismissed without investigation by the then-chairman of the Michigan Board of Medicine, Dr. George Shade. Years before that, Shade had helped Alexander get his license back after a prescription drug conviction.

Categories: Abortionist