NRL News

Accused of fraud for falsely telling women they were pregnant, Oklahoma abortionist bound over for trial

by | Jun 26, 2015

By Dave Andrusko

Abortionist Nareshkumar G. Patel (The Oklahoman PAUL B. SOUTHERLAND)

Abortionist Nareshkumar G. Patel

Thanks go out to LifeNews for a heads up that earlier this month Oklahoma abortionist Naresh G. Patel appeared in an Oklahoma District Court. We learn that Patel has been bound over for trial after waiving a right to a preliminary hearing.

Who is Naresh Patel and what is he charged with? With three counts of fraud for telling uncover detectives who were not pregnant that they were pregnant and then prescribing pricey abortifacients.

But that is only a part of his sordid story and only Patel’s latest brush with the law. According to Nolan Clay and Robby Trammell of The Oklahoman

The complaint that led to the undercover investigation came from a sister of a former patient who paid $520 for a medical [chemical] abortion procedure in August 2011. The former patient, Pamela Michelle King, died four months later of complications from cervical cancer. The doctor who cared for her at the time of her death reported she had not been pregnant within the past year.

After Patel’s arrest, Attorney General Scott Pruitt said, “This type of fraudulent activity and blatant disregard for the health and well-being of Oklahoma women will not be tolerated,” adding, “Oklahoma women should be able to trust that the advice they receive from their physicians is truthful, accurate and does not jeopardize their health.”

According to the arrest warrant, the undercover investigation began in early June 2014 when an investigator went to Patel’s Warr Acres clinic. Subsequently, on October 16, an Oklahoma City police detective visited the clinic followed by an Oklahoma attorney general agent who visited the clinic October 22.

“Each time, Patel gave the woman an ultrasound, told her she was pregnant and gave her five RU-486 pills to induce an abortion, according to the affidavit,” Clay and Trammell reported. “Each paid $620 for the unnecessary procedure, according to the affidavit. Each time, the investigator secretly recorded Patel inside the clinic, according to the affidavit.”

News 9 provided more extensive coverage of the sting. Referring to the first investigator, according to court documents, Patel “performed an ultrasound on her abdomen and told her she was very, very early pregnant.” She was given five abortion pills.

The second investigator was wearing a hidden video camera. Patel “performed an external ultrasound on her abdomen, and he told her she was pregnant” and that her pregnancy urine test was positive. News 9 also reported

Later that month [October], another agent visited the clinic wearing undercover surveillance equipment. Patel performed an ultrasound and told the not pregnant agent that she was “early in her pregnancy” and gave her five abortion pills to take. The agent “put one pill into her mouth and concealed the pill until she was able to place it into a Kleenex.” Patel then prescribed the agent “Tylenol#3 with codeine.” The agent was not pregnant.

And as we reported elsewhere, another woman came forward when she learned Patel had been arrested. The unnamed woman, who actually had been pregnant, told KFOR NewsChannel 4 that her abortion at the hands of Patel was “like torture.” These memories resurfaced, she told Channel 4, when she learned about the latest charges against Patel.

Back in December she told the station that had decided on an abortion a few month before because her heart was enlarged, leading to early complications.

“I actually felt like I was having a heart attack a lot of the time. I’d gone into the hospital on two other occasions with chest pains,” she said. So she arraigned to go to Patel’s Warr Acres abortion clinic.

According to the woman, after first being told she would be charged $1,100 for the abortion, Patel’s office did a quick ultrasound and said to her “You’re two weeks further along than what you’re telling me.” They told the frightened woman that they wanted another $500.

She agreed. The story from Channel 4’s Abby Broyles continues:

“A nurse came into the room and strapped my wrists down to the table. They strapped my ankles down where my feet were, and she held my forehead down to the table,” she said.

She says they didn’t give her any anesthesia and the pain was unbearable.

“I’d never known anything like it in my life. It was like torture,” she said

Categories: Abortionist