NRL News

Diagnosed as “on his way to brain death,” man becomes responsive after children skip appointment with funeral home

by | Jan 8, 2019

Family calls him “miracle man”

By Dave Andrusko

Scott Marr, who used to do play calls for Creighton University’s basketball team, was taken off life support after suffering a suspected stroke — but then woke up. That earned him the nickname “Miracle Man.”
Screengrab from KMTV

Where have we heard this story before?

On December 12, T. Scott Marr is found in his bed, unresponsive but breathing, and rushed to Methodist Hospital where he is placed on a breathing machine. He is diagnosed as having suffered a stroke.

The family returns the next day and doctors tell them there has been no neurological improvement. “Brain swelling — primarily in the back of the brain — concerned his doctors,” according to Kelsey Stewart of the Omaha World-Herald.

“We were worried in this case that this was not a reversible process and that it was going to proceed to brain death,” Dr. Rebecca Runge told Stewart. Preston Marr, his daughter, and the rest of family said they “faced a harsh reality: Scott Marr was not expected to recover.”

And, as if on cue, we learn that Scott Marr had always told the family, “’I never want you guys to see me lying in a hospital bed, lying in a nursing home,” Preston Marr told the World-Herald.

“They [the doctors] told us he was on his way to brain death, so we said our goodbyes before extubating him, all the monitors were shut off and we waited by his side,” Preston Marr informed Stewart.

Preston and her three sibling held their father’s hands, “said their goodbyes and cried,” Stewart wrote. “The next morning, the Marr family wasn’t quite ready to make funeral arrangements.”

Meanwhile Marr did not die. He rallied. Coincidence that the children went to the hospital instead of meeting with a funeral home? Stewart wrote

On their way, Preston took a call from her aunt, who said Marr seemed to be responding.

It was probably just a reflex, thought Preston, who’s a nurse.

“Hi, Dad,” she said as she walked into the room. Eyes still closed, her dad cracked a smile.

“I literally thought I was dreaming,” Preston said. “It was the craziest moment ever.”

“I asked him to move his thumbs, and he slowly moved his thumbs, and I asked him to wiggle his toes, and he wiggled all his toes really slightly,” Preston Marr said.

The explanation came following a subsequent test. It turned out that Scott Marr “was suffering from a rare condition called posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome,” Stewart explained.

“It’s commonly caused by high blood pressure, but there are many things that can cause it,” Dr. Runge said. They initially diagnosed a devastating stroke because such severe swelling is not typical of the posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome, she said.

Scott Marr has his own explanation.

“I’m not an extremely religious person. I don’t go to church every Sunday,” the former announcer for the Creighton University Men’s basketball team told Stewart. “But I do believe in God. I believe with all my heart. And now this is just proof for me that everything I’ve ever heard is true. That he loves me. That he’s right there for me. … It was pretty much a miracle.”

Categories: Brain Injury